Coleslaw with Cilantro and Lime
Coleslaw usually does not impress me. I always feel like it’s too sweet and that it kinda tastes like it’s been sitting around for decades in the fridge soaking up the smells of everything else in there. I just don’t like that in my coleslaw… or in any of my food for that matter.
I decided to create a citrusy version to go with my Chipotle Lobster roll leading up to The Tasting Table’s Lobster Rumble. This coleslaw would go well on a burger, a sandwich, as a side dish with BBQ ribs or just alone because it isn’t actually that bad for you. Besides the bit of mayo, this recipe is healthy!
So I started with some stuff I picked up from a Farmer’s Market of course because that’s my favorite place to get produce. I started with about half a small head of green cabbage, and half a small head of red cabbage thinly sliced. This amount will make 1-2 servings. Fairly large servings however. I julienned 1 small radish, diced 1/8 of a medium red onion and 1/8 of a small jalapeño (add more if you want more spice!) Then I took 4 tablespoons or rice wine vinegar, 1/2 bunch of cilantro minced, 1-2 tablespoons of mayo, and lemon and lime juice to taste.
I dumped all of this goodness in a bowl, and mixed it up with my fork. I added the mayo in 1 tablespoon increments because I don’t like mine too mayo-y. If you do, go for it and add more!
And that’s literally all there is to it. I wish I could give you more steps…. but that would just be unnecessary! This is an easy weeknight recipe that takes just minutes and tastes pretty darn amazing!
- - 1/2 small head green cabbage; julienned (thinly sliced)
- - 1/2 small head red cabbage; julienned
- - 1 small radish; julienned
- - 1/2 bunch cilantro; minced
- - 1/8 small red onion; diced
- -1/8 small jalapeño; diced
- - 4 tablespoons white vinegar, apple cider vinegar, or rice vinegar
- - 1-2 tablespoons mayo
- - 1/2 small lemon; juiced
- - 1/2 small lime; juiced
- - Salt and pepper to taste
- - Extra Cilantro for garnishing
- Dice and slice all of the necessary ingredients.
- Toss everything into a mixing bowl.
- Season to taste.
- You're done.
- That't it.
- It's that easy!