CROCKPOT BEEF STEW
This crockpot beef stew reminds me of my childhood. Growing up my mom wasn’t a very big cook. My dad was a big fan of juicy chicken thighs, grilled steak, and fries. My mom only had two recipes she cooked, and cooked really well. One was spaghetti with meat sauce, and the other was a delicious, comforting beef stew!
In this recipe I opted for the crockpot because it’s a simple way to make your favorite slow cooked recipes, and all you have to do is throw all of the ingredients in, set the timer, and walk away! The beef in this recipe is so tender while the veggies aren’t mushy or overdone. Everything in this recipe is perfectly done, and I’m so excited to share it with you!
The thing about stews is the preparation of the ingredients can take a bit of time! You have to chop your veggies and brown your meat, but thanks to the crockpot once that’s done…the rest of the cook time is completely inactive! All you have to do is push a button and wait! Not to mention, once the time is up the crockpot does an amazing job of keeping your meal warm!
The first thing I did was season my meat! I used 2 lbs of chuck beef, and diced it into cubes. I seasoned it with salt, pepper, chili flakes and smoked paprika. Heat up a cast iron skillet with a couple tablespoons of butter, and prepare to brown your meat!
Brown your meet on all sides in your cast iron skillet, but do not cook through! If you don’t have a cast iron skillet, don’t worry! A stainless still frying pan or even a nonstick can work! I like the cast iron because it really makes the beef browned on the outside and raw on the inside.
Once your meat is browned, about 2-3 minutes on each side (your skillet must be super hot for this!) you’ll add in your 1/3 cup of flour. You can use whole wheat flour, or even coconut flour.
Mix your flour in, and once that’s done you can start adding all of the crockpot beef stew ingredients into the crockpot!
Once you’ve added your ingredients, pour in your 3 cups chicken broth and 2 cups of water, and season to taste with salt and pepper if you need it!
Cook on high for 3 hours and you’ve got an amazingly delicious crockpot beef stew for two, for the next couple of days!
- - 2 lbs chuck beef - cubed
- - 4 roma tomatoes - peeled and cubed
- - 1/2 medium yellow onion - diced
- - 1/2 small red onion - diced
- - 2 carrots - cut into rounds and halved
- - 2 stalks of celery - cut into 2 inch pieces
- - 3 red potatoes - cubed
- - 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- - 1/4 cup flour
- - 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- - 1 tsp bay leaves, or one bay leaf
- - Salt + Pepper to taste
- - 4 cloves garlic - thinly sliced
- - 2 tablespoons worcestire sauce
- - 2 tablespoons butter
- - 3 cups chicken broth
- - 2 cups water
- First, melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a cast iron skillet on high heat.
- Mix the meat with salt, pepper, and 1 tablespoon of smoked paprika. Coat well and brown both sides.
- Add 1/4 cup of flour to the mixture and remove to a plate.
- Place all ingredients in a crockpot. Season to taste with salt and pepper
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours, or on low for 6-7 hours.