Grilled salmon is my favorite means of cooking this type of fish. The outside gets a little crisp while the inside is soft and moist. I always cook mine medium rare to medium because I think it just tastes better that way! Salmon is such a flavorful fish already, all it needs is a little salt and pepper and a squeeze of lemon. And of course the grilling part is the main key to making this piece of salmon pop with flavor.
I started with a piece of salmon that was roughly 10 oz from the Farmer’s Market of course. The Studio City location is definitely my favorite. Every Sunday! I used salt, pepper, and lemon juice to season the salmon because that’s really all this fine cut of salmon needs.
After seasoning I turned on my cast iron grill pan to high heat on the stove, and let it smoke a little before putting the salmon on. Make sure you oil the grill pan! You can also use an outdoor grill if you’ve got one, turn it onto high and let it preheat. Then place your salmon on the grill and let cook for about 3-5 minutes depending on how crispy you like the surface of your salmon. I like my grilled salmon like this.
Cook the other side for about 2 minutes, depending on how you like it… making sure the fish isn’t getting stuck to the grates. The amount of time on each side really depends on the thickness of your fish. I usually use my finger to press down on the salmon. It should feel a bit like hard jello when you poke it.
Take nice picture of it, pour yourself a glass of white wine and enjoy!
- - About 10 oz salmon
- - Salt and pepper to taste
- - Lemon juice to taste
- - Cast iron grill skillet or grill
- Season your salmon on both sides if there's no skin present with salt and pepper to taste. If there's skin, only season the side without the skin.
- Heat your grill pan or grill to high heat and wait until it's abut 425 degrees, or smoking if it's the grill pan.
- Place your salmon skin side up and cook for about 3-5 minutes depending on how you like your salmon.
- Turn and cook the same amount of time. About 3-5 minutes for medium rare - medium.
- Top with lemon juice and serve!