Kale is one of my favorite leafy green vegetables. It’s so versatile that you can saute it or make it into a salad! A kale salad is my favorite kind of salad so I decided to go that route. A lot of people think the taste is too strong, but when you pair it with equally pungent ingredients, the results are usually pretty subdued compared to their individual selves. In this case, pairing kale with arugula, shallots, walnuts, parmesan cheese, a little red wine vinegar and walnut oil truly make this dish shine.
Not only is this kale salad healthy, it’s delicious!
I have two reasons why salads are my favorite thing to eat during the day. They’re quick and simple to put together, and I never feel heavy or tired after eating them.
To start, toss your arugula into a bowl with your washed, dried, chopped and massaged dino kale. To massage the kale, literally just rub the leaves between your fingers! This helps the kale wilt a little without the process of cooking, so it keeps the nutrients intact and takes a bit of the toughness out!
Mix 2 tablespoons of walnut oil with lemon juice to taste (I used half a lemon but I like a lot of acid), about a tablespoon of red wine vinegar and the diced shallots. Mix with a fork or a whisk until the dressing has a thicker consistency. Walnut oil is awesome in a dressing because it thickens very quickly.
Chop your walnuts to use as a garnish and sprinkle with shaved parmesan cheese to taste.
Pour the vinaigrette over the top and mix gently with your hands or with two wooden spoons.
And that’s literally it. All you need to do is combine these delicious ingredients to make something even more delicious once they’re combined! Delicious, simple, and healthy!
- - 3 - 4 leaves dino kale - massaged and chopped
- - 2 tablespoons walnut oil
- - lemon juice to taste
- - 1/2 small shallot finely diced
- - 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- - handful of arugula
- - 1/2 handful walnuts - chopped
- - Shaved parmesan cheese to taste
- To start, wash, dry, massage and chop your kale. Place in a bowl with your arugula.
- Combine walnut oil, lemon juice, shallots and red wine vinegar together until thick.
- Place walnuts and parmesan cheese with your leafy greens, add your vinaigrette and mix softly with hands or two wooden spoons.
- Garnish with a sprinkle of sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste.