I love chicken salad. I really like homemade versions though, because I feel like the store-bought brands never have enough flavor. They’re kind of sticky, full of too much of that nasty sweet Miracle Whip, and not enough of anything else!
This recipe has a ton of flavor, and even a spicy kick from some pickled jalapeños! I used this chicken salad to stuff grilled avocados in this delicious video!
The ingredients are pretty simple. You have chicken breast, lemon juice, cumin, salt, pepper, cilantro, green onion, red onion, celery, and pickled jalapeños for spice!
To start, you’ll need to cook your chicken slowly so that it’s easy to shred. I do this by adding my chicken to a pot full of about 2 inches of water. I seasoned the chicken with a bit of cumin, salt, and pepper… turned the heat to low and covered it with the top.
I cooked the chicken for about 15 minutes. Let cool slightly and then shredded it!
Next, the process is simple. You season the chicken to taste, add all of the ingredients and then set aside in the fridge to chill!
I added about 1 teaspoon of cumin, and I added a bit too many pickled jalapeños. This recipe was SPICY! Cut your spice down by adding about half of what I added – that equals about 4 slices of pickled jalapeños, finely diced.
This is a really delicious recipe that you can use in a wrap, a sandwich, or even as a side dish at your next BBQ! Although I eat a big heaping portion of my BBQ ribs at parties, I can always use a lighter dish on the side. This is perfect for that!
Don’t forget, you can use these to stuff grilled (or un-grilled) avocados like I did! The creaminess of the avocado really balances out the spice in this dish. It’s the perfect combination! Check out the simple printable recipe below.
- - 1/2 chicken breast
- - 1 tsp lemon juice
- - 1 tbsp mustard
- - 4 slices pickled jalapeños - finely diced
- - 2 tbsp mayo
- - 1/4 red onion - finely diced
- - 1 tsp cumin
- - cilantro and green onion to taste
- - salt and pepper to taste
- Start by cooking your chicken. Place chicken, cumin, salt and pepper in a pot with about 2 inches of water. Cover and cook on low.
- At about 10 minutes in, turn the chicken over. Cook for another 10-15 minutes until chicken is cooked through.
- Let cool slightly and shred with two forks.
- Add in all of your ingredients to taste and mix to combine.
- Chill in the fridge for about 15 minutes.
- Use on a sandwich, wrap, or in an avocado!